By WRCB Staff

CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) -- Keeping your home warm can also be come hazardous.

Officials with Red Cross tell us they've already seen an uptick in fires, caused by people using alternative heating sources, like space heaters and fireplaces.

They give this advice, avoid using a stove or oven to heat your home. If you light a fireplace, keep a glass or metal fire screen around it and never leave the fireplace unattended. Keep space heaters on level, hard, non-flammable surfaces, and keep them away from children and pets.

The Home Safety Council offers this advice.

Space Heaters: Space heaters need space. Keep them at least three feet away from things that can burn, such as curtains or stacks of newspaper. Always turn off heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.

Furnaces: Have a service person inspect chimneys, fireplaces, wood and coal stoves and central furnaces once a year. Have them cleaned when necessary.

Fireplaces and Wood Stoves: Keep things that can burn away from your fireplace and keep a glass or metal screen in front of your fireplace. Creosote logs can be used to help reduce the build-up of creosote in fireplaces. Check labels to make sure the log has been tested and approved by UL. Even if you use creosote logs, fireplaces should still be inspected by a professional each year.

For more safety tips visit the U.S. Fire Administration page on fireplace and home safety or the page on generator safety.