Police Chief Son Laid to Rest - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Police Chief Son Laid to Rest

By Megan Boatwright

Channel 3 Eyewitness News Reporter

DAYTON, TN. (WRCB) -- The son of Dayton, Tennessee's police chief was laid to rest Monday afternoon. 

Tyler Sneed died in a car accident over the weekend.  He was 18-years-old.

Sneed crashed his vehicle on Highway 30.  His Toyota truck was found early Saturday morning. 

He and a friend had been hunting the night before.  The family believes he might have fallen asleep at the wheel. 

Police cars and fire trucks from all over the area came to Rhea County for Sneed's funeral procession Monday.  Sneed was a volunteer firefighter at the Dayton Fire Department.  He was one class away from becoming a firefighter.  His friends and family say becoming a firefighter is something he was incredibly passionate about. 

"He ate, slept and just breathed the fire hall," says firemen Michael Green.  Green remembers when he first meet Tyler Sneed 3 years ago. 

"He was my right hand man," Green says.  "When I worked he came by and spent the majority of the shift with me." 

Not surprisingly Sneed spent most of last Friday at the Dayton Fire Station.  When evening rolled around he told his friend he was going to a birthday party. 

"He was gonna come back and workout with us at 8 p.m.,"  Green says.  "Stay the night with me at the station.  He never came back."

Sneed's wrecked Truck was found off Highway 30 the next morning.  The 18-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.  The Tennessee Highway Patrol report shows Sneed hadn't been drinking.  He wasn't wearing a seat belt. 

"Just a tragic and unfortunate accident where he did veer off the road," says Andrew Tucker, Sneed's uncle. 

Tucker says the family can only speculate what happened. "We can only assume he fell asleep," he says.

Sneed's death is a tragedy that hit close to home for an entire community.  Tucker says the family just wants to remember Tyler for the person he was, "He was the epitomy of what it meant to be a volunteer". 

Over 1,200 people attended Sneed's viewing at the Vanderwall Funeral Home Sunday night.  The entire Dayton Fire Department attended the funeral service Monday.  Several firemen acted as pallbearers. 


Powered by Frankly