Notre Dame High wins national recognition - | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Notre Dame High wins national recognition

Posted: Updated:

CHATTANOOGA (WRCB)-  Notre Dame High School, Chattanooga's oldest non-public school, has been named one of America's Top 50 Catholic secondary schools by the Catholic High School Honor Roll.  The Honor Roll acknowledges those schools that best maintain high academic standards, uphold their Catholic identity, and prepare students to actively engage the world.

Bishop Richard F. Stika, Diocese of Knoxville, announced the honor to students, faculty and parents Friday in a video message saying, "I am very proud of Notre Dame especially the students, faculty, and staff. It is due to all of your support, dedication, and hard work that Notre Dame received this prestigious honor."

Principal Perry Storey called the selection "a validation of our true mission as a Catholic School.   The outstanding young men and women who have been part of the Notre Dame experience know the quality of our school and are reaping the benefits of a well-rounded education."

Mr. Storey pointed out that over the last decade the school has constantly exceeded local, state and national test scores, held a 100% graduation rate and averaged a 99% college matriculation rate with the remaining 1% pursuing military or national service careers.   

The Honor Roll is an independent project of the Acton Institute, an international research and educational organization. The Honor Roll was produced in consultation with a national advisory board comprised of Catholic college presidents and Catholic scholars.

The best schools demonstrate a balanced excellence, which includes an active Catholic culture, sound college preparation and integration of Church teaching in all departments. These schools also display sound moral, catechetical and civic formation that prepares students for vocations in the world as political, religious, scientific, and business leaders. 

There are over 7,000 Catholic Schools in the United States serving over 2 million students each year.  Notre Dame High School has been serving families in the Chattanooga area for 134 years and is one of only two schools in Tennessee to receive the honor this year, and one of only three Tennessee schools since 2004 to receive the honor. 

This is the third national award for Notre Dame High School in the past two years.  In April 2010 the school was honored with the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception's Charity and Social Service Award, and in 2009 the school received the Life Care Centers of America's Group Volunteer Award.

In January, the school will begin it's 135th year of operation will celebrate this benchmark with many public events including the annual alumni weekend in July which attracts more than 1200 alumni and friends.  To learn more about this award and the school, visit the school's website at



Powered by Frankly