Two Chattanooga churches added to historic list
CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) – Two churches in Chattanooga have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The First Congregational Church on Lindsay Street and the Ridgedale Methodist Episcopal Church on Dodd Avenue were among eight Tennessee landmarks added to the registry.
Built in 1905, the First Congregational Church served as a religious and community center for the African-American community of Chattanooga until the congregation disbanded in 2001. The church, which is an example of the late Gothic Revival architectural style, was purchased and renovated in 2006. The building is still used as an events venue.
The Ridgedale Methodist Episcopal Church was constructed in 1925 at the base of Missionary Ridge. The church originally cost $85,000 and could seat a congregation of 500 in the sanctuary and balcony. The church was expanded in 1953, adding a three-story education annex. In 1994, as the congregation continued to expand, the church was sold to the American Pentecostal congregation. It was sold again in 1996 to the First Baptist Church of Bozentown, which continues to worship there.
Also added to the registry were the Beasley Mounds in Smith County, the Fairmont Neighborhood Historic District in Bristol, the Long Rock Methodist Episcopal Church in Carroll County, Memorial Stadium in Johnson County, Varsity Theater in Martin, and the Woman's Club of Nashville.