Heroic neighbor helps battle fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Heroic neighbor helps battle fire

Posted: Updated:

CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) – A quick thinking neighbor helped keep a kitchen fire from destroying a duplex Wednesday.

Chattanooga Fire crews were called to the duplex at 4012 Arbor Place Lane where children were inside a burning home.

When they got there, they found neighbor Paul Lavender inside trying to put the kitchen fire out with a garden hose.

Lavender, who lives down the street, wasn't injured and the children were safe outside.

"I was standing on the porch and I heard the kids hollering 'help, help, help!' I was thinking they were playing, I sat there and observed them for a few minutes then they finally went back to their house and I saw smoke roll out," Lavender says.

The fire damage was mostly contained to the kitchen and caused about $10,000 in damage, according to the CFD. The other unit in the duplex did sustain smoke damage and power had to cut to both units.

The Red Cross is helping both families and say seven or eight people were displaced by the fire.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental.  Lieutenant Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said one of the children was heating up grease on the stove to cook.  Apparently the grease got too hot and burst into flames.

Powered by Frankly